Planning a trip to Machu Picchu? You’re going to love it and having the right gear will make sure you can just focus on enjoying the journey, pushing through the tough parts of the hike and reaching one of the most spectacular places you’ve ever seen.
Did you know that you can also book a Machu Picchu visit by yourself? Check our 5 step booking guide here.
What to pack for Machu Picchu!? 10 essentials you’ll need:
1. A head torch for the early morning starts & keeping your hands free. We used these Energizer torches and they were great. Really bright and they lasted us for the trip.
2. A water pack so you can stay hydrated regularly & don’t have to keep stopping to get water out. We use these two different types, both work well. A hydration pack that goes in your backpack and a tin flask with a strap.
3. Chlorophyll, this is a little know secret and will become your best friend to fight altitude sickness. Put some drops in your water each day before you arrive and during the trek. Here’s the one we used & it honestly made all the difference:
4. A Spork for snack time. Main meal times are fine as the tour companies provide cutlery, though during hike time these come in handy for eating your own food. We bought these ones and they’re great.
5. A sleeping bag liner for the cold nights. The temperature drops a surprising amount at night in Cusco, we bought these and they’ve come in really handy for both keeping us warm and avoiding any bed bug situations.
6. A decent battery pack to keep your phone charged. These can be hard to come by and cheaper ones don’t do the job. This one from Anker was bought for us a leaving present and it’s one we’d highly recommend as it gives 2 full iPhone 8 charges.
7. Pills! You need to take the standard round of tablets with you – Paracetamol, Ibuprofen, Imodium, Electrolytes.
8. Alcohol gel for toilet trips / avoiding bugs / cleaning cuts. The all do they same job though here’s the one we got & size wise it lasted us for the trip.
9. The ever useful Buff! We’ve lost count of how many times this has come in handy, especially for cold morning starts or keeping the sun off your neck. Pick your design and it will be a much loved purchase.
10. Quick dry eco towel for when you take a rare shower! There are so many micro fibre towels out there, we wanted an eco friendly one and went for this one, it’s been great for us so we recommend it.
That’s the top 10 essentials you’re going to need for this adventure of a lifetime!
If you have any other questions on Machu Picchu or the Inca trail hike (that’s the one we took), just send us a message or WhatsApp and we’ll happily help you out.
Have an incredible trip!
Shay & Iban 👬⛺️